Sunday, May 3, 2015

Thomas Dobson Story



"...Stand up and sing the handcart song and I promise you
in the name of Israel’s God your feet shall be made whole."

Thomas Dobson Story
Age 18, from Preston, England, Martin Company

“I wore out my shoes on the way,” said Tom Dobson, “and had to make a good many miles of it on foot. My feet froze and it was no small task hobbling over the rough roads wheeling a handcart. Brother Eph[raim] Hanks promised me the first pair of shoes that came to camp. But my feet had swollen so that nothing would fit them. “Tommy,” says Eph, “its too bad; but there’s no shoes for you; and the best I can do is to wrap you up in this piece of cotton. Now, I tell you what you do.  Stand up and sing the handcart song and I promise you in the name of Israel’s God your feet shall be made whole.”


That night I was wakened by a sound of fiddling. A couple in our company got married and the camp was celebrating with a dance. I hobbled out to the fire and stood there listening to the music. “Tommy” said one of the brethren in a joke, why don’t you get up there and give us a jig.” Now, I come from Lancashire, and maybe you know what that place is for dancing. I’d known how to clog dance ever since I could remember and when that man told me to dance I got out there and danced as I never had before. That was the last of my lame feet.”

THOUGHT FROM THE STAKE:  This is a great story that brings a smile to my face.  I love to hear about the miracles; those little moments that gave them hope and strengthened their faith in such a difficult time.  Likewise, may we recognize the miracles in our lives and may they give us hope and strengthen our faith in our difficult times.  Our God is indeed a God of miracles and strength and the foundation of every hope.  

No comments:

Post a Comment